Driving licence


A driving licence can be obtained from the municipal authority where you live.

We only work on an appointment basis. You cannot drop in without an appointment. You can do this by telephone (0224) 210 400 or use the button above. Appointments are free of charge.

Submitting an application

A driving licence can be obtained from the municipal authority where you are registered.

What you need to bring with you

You must bring the following:

  • A passport photo which meets the requirements.
  • A valid identity document.
  • Cash or your bank card. You must pay the costs for a new driving licence before making an application.
  • If you are replacing your driving licence, you must bring the old one with you. If your driving licence has expired you must also bring a valid identity document.
  • If you are younger than 18 when you apply for your driving licence you must also bring a supervisor's pass from 2toDrive for your driving coach.

In some cases, you will also need a medical declaration before you can apply to us for a driving licence. For example: if you are 75 years old or older, or if you wish to apply for an HGV licence (category C or D).


  • A driving licence costs €44.65.
  • If you wish to receive your driving licence within one working week you will have to pay a surcharge of €34.10 in addition to the cost of the driving licence.

Delivery time

Your application will be processed immediately. You can collect your driving licence about 5 working days after your application.

Make an appointment. You may not collect your driving licence without an appointment.

If you need to have your new driving licence before next week, you can make use of our urgent procedure. There are extra costs for this service.

An urgent application must be made before 1:00 PM. You will be able to collect your driving licence the next working day after 9:00 AM. We cannot guarantee delivery within this period. If your application is made after 1:00 PM your driving licence will be available for collection 2 working days later after 9:00 AM.


A driving licence is valid for 10 years If you are aged 70 and above your driving licence is valid for 5 years.

Under 18

From the age of 17, it is possible to take your practical driving exam for a category B licence for driving a car. If you have passed this exam you may apply for a driving licence. However, you may not drive without the presence of a registered driving coach until you are 18. You must apply for a supervisor's pass or passes before you can apply for your driving licence.

Supervisor's pass

Thanks to 2toDrive, you can start taking driving lessons when you are 16.5 years old.
You will need a supervisor's pass if you take part in the 2toDrive scheme. You are eligible to apply for this pass when you are 16.5 years old. Your coaches must register first. They can do this on the website 2toDrive. When all of your coaches have completed their registration, you may apply for the supervisor's pass. You must submit an application for the supervisor's pass before you apply for your driving licence.

Make sure that all coaches have registered before you apply for the supervisor's pass. What happens if you have applied for a supervisor's pass and you decide later that you want to add more coaches? You will have to apply for a new pass.

Foreign driving licence

Have you moved to the Netherlands and do you have a foreign driving licence? You can use this driving licence for a certain period of time. How long you can do this depends on the country where your driving licence was issued. After this period has elapsed you will need a Dutch driving licence. You can obtain one by exchanging your licence for a Dutch driving licence or by taking your driving examination again.

International driving licence

In some countries, you will need an international driving licence if you wish to drive there. An international driving licence is a translation of your current driving licence in several languages.

You should ask the embassy of the country in question if you will need an international driving licence or other documents. You can find the contact details of foreign embassies and consulates on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. You can also contact the Dutch automobile association, the ANWB.

You can apply to the ANWB for an international driving licence. It is valid for one year.

Tractor driving licence

If the category T appears on your driving licence you are entitled to drive an agricultural tractor or a forestry tractor and a speed restricted vehicle on public roads. Since 1 July 2016, it has been compulsory to be in possession of a category T driving licence for driving the above-named vehicles.

Military driving licence

A military driving licence is intended for use as proof of driving ability within the military organisation and it is not generally valid. This means that a military driving licence is not valid for driving on public roads. You can exchange a Dutch military driving licence for a Dutch driving licence.

If you already are in possession of a Dutch driving licence which qualifies you for fewer categories than your military driving licence, you can have the categories which appear on your military driving licence included on your Dutch driving licence.