Coming to live in the Netherlands


Have you moved to the Netherlands? You must register your address with the municipal authority. You must also do this if you have lived in the Netherlands before. You must make an appointment beforehand.

When should I register?

Are you coming to live in the Netherlands for at least 4 out of the coming 6 months? You must register your address with the municipal authority.

You may register if you are living legally in the Netherlands; this is known as lawful residence. The term 'lawful residence’ applies in the following cases:

  • If you have Dutch nationality.
  • If you have the nationality of another member state of the European Union.
  • If you are a citizen of Liechtenstein, Norway, Iceland or Switzerland.
  • If you have a valid residence permit.
  • You may stay in the Netherlands while you are waiting for the decision on your application for a residence permit.

How do I register?

Make an appointment. Cal: (0224) 210 400

  • You must come in person to the Town Hall of the municipality where you wish to register. Do this within 5 days of your arrival in the Netherlands.
  • Register your fixed address.
  • Has your partner come with you to live in the Netherlands? Your partner must come with you to the Town Hall.
  • Have your children come with you to live in the Netherlands? They must come with you to the Town Hall.
  • After you have completed your registration you will receive a Public Service Number (BSN). You will need this number for your contact with Dutch authorities. For example: if you apply for benefits.
  • We will complete your registration as soon as possible. This will take no longer than 4 weeks.

Will you be staying in the Netherlands for less than 4 months? You will not need to register with the municipal authority. Do you still need a Public Service Number (BSN)? In that case, you can register as a non-resident in the Key Register of Persons (BRP). You can do this from your address abroad. This is known as Registration as a non-resident (RNI).

Documents required

You will need the following:

  • A valid identity document.
  • A travel document or other document that proves your nationality. Do you have more than one nationality? You will need to prove each nationality with a valid travel document or other official document.
  • Documents which act as proof of residence: a tenancy agreement, title deeds or a declaration from the main occupant of the building. 
  • Official documents issued to you when you lived abroad. For example: a birth certificate, a marriage certificate, a divorce certificate or an acknowledgement certificate. Please note: if these documents are not in Dutch, English, German or French they must first be translated and legalised. You should do this before you move to the Netherlands. 
  • Are you coming to live with someone else? You will need written consent from the main occupant of that address.
  • If you move to the Netherlands from Aruba, Bonaire, Curaçao, Saba, Sint Eustatius or Sint Maarten you will need a certificate of deregistration from your previous country.
  • In some cases, you will need a valid residence permit or evidence that you have applied for one.

More information

If you do not have a fixed address you will have to ask us for a postal address. For example: if you work as an inland shipping operator or if you are living in an institution. For more information, call: (0224) 210 400.