Registration of a still birth

Registration of a still birth

Parents of a stillborn baby may register this child with the department of Civil Affairs. They may register their child in the Key Register of Persons (BRP). They may do this if they wish, but it is not compulsory. This also applies to any previously stillborn children. Registration highlights the existence of the child. Their names will appear with the personal information of the parent who has made this request. This fulfils the wishes of many parents. If you wish to register your stillborn child you should do this in the municipality where you live. You must make an appointment beforehand.

Tel: (0224) 210 400

You can also submit your registration application online.

Registering your child's birth

You should apply to register your child in the municipality where you live. You will need a birth certificate for still birth. If you do not have this certificate, you can ask for one to be issued in the municipality in which your child was born. If you have gone to live abroad after your child was born you must make your application to the municipality where you were last registered in the Netherlands.

It is possible that your child's names are not stated on the certificate of still birth. In this case, you can submit the names along with your application for registration in the Key Register of Persons (BRP). Both parents can register different names. In this situation, this does not pose a problem.

This registration will only be visible to yourself and the civil registrar. Other authorities will not have access to information about your stillborn baby.

What do you need to bring with you?

  • You will need a birth certificate for still birth.
  • A valid identity document.

When do you register your child's birth

You can apply for registration if you were living in the Netherlands when the child was born, and you were registered in the Key Register of Persons. It does not matter when your child was born or how long the pregnancy lasted. You may only have your child registered in the Key Register of Persons on your own behalf. You may not do this on behalf of the other parent. This is a matter of personal choice.

How long will it take?

You will hear from us within 4 weeks of submitting your application.

Born abroad

If your child was born abroad you must bring documents pertaining to the birth. For example: a birth certificate which was issued in a foreign country and which states that your child was stillborn.

If you have difficulties in obtaining these documents please inform us. In that case, you may declare the birth of your child to us. We will take a flexible approach to the rules.